AmySea

Helen MacInnes
The Samurai's Wife
Laura Joh Rowland

Argo: How the CIA and Hollywood Pulled Off the Most Audacious Rescue in History

Argo: How the CIA and Hollywood Pulled Off the Most Audacious Rescue in History - Antonio J. Mendez,  Matt Baglio,  Dylan Baker I thought that the movie Argo was very well done, and I enjoyed it a lot, but this book was interesting to me in ways that the movie was not. The book had a lot of information in it about the clandestine services, and about how the CIA documents and disguises people operated. The book also pays a greater tribute to Canada's role in the rescue of The House Guests than the movie did. I also appreciated the analysis that Antonio J. Mendez provided of Iran's history and politics, which explained how the hostage crisis even came about, and his analysis about Iran's international relations policies of today. All in all, this was a well told tale.

I'm not really sure, however, how I felt about Dylan Baker's narration of the audiobook. Sometimes the tones that he used made Mendez sound a bit conceited. Maybe he is, I don't know. But in context, I'm not sure that Mendez was being conceited, as much as telling about himself, his job, and how he came to play a major role in the rescue of these six people.

The movie embellished quite a bit. It's still good, and if nothing else, it reminds (or informs) people about this event in history. I think that the story of how things actually unfolded though is better than what the movie gave us. It was intense and scary enough without all the fictional drama that was added to the film, and it had the benefit of being real.