AmySea

Helen MacInnes
The Samurai's Wife
Laura Joh Rowland

We Can Remember It for You Wholesale

We Can Remember It for You Wholesale - Philip K. Dick See, this is the problem when you see a movie based on a book before you read the book that the movie is based on. Total Recall starring Arnold Schwarzenegger is one of my favorite movies, and it makes itself known in my daily life. When my niece was a newborn, her resemblance to Kuato was more than a little disturbing (she's much more beautiful now--thank heaven), and at my work we have a very loud ventilation system which sometimes kicks off. When that happens I always think of that scene in Total Recall where they turn off the air fans to try to suffocate the Martian riff-raff.

We Can Remember It For You Wholesale was a good short story, and I enjoyed it, but honestly, it lacks the excitement of the movie. Usually I am disgusted when Hollywood takes a perfectly good story and then amps it up, changes it, and well, Hollywood-izes it. In this case, though, I think that while they remained essentially faithful to Philip K. Dick's story (I recognized it immediately, which I'd have not done with Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep), their Hollywood-ization of the story did wonders for it by keeping the best bits of Philip K. Dick's work and building a great sci-fi/action story upon it. The book and the movie go neatly hand-in-hand with one another.