AmySea

Helen MacInnes
The Samurai's Wife
Laura Joh Rowland

Watership Down

Watership Down - Richard Adams,  John Lawrence I read Watership Down so long ago--I couldn't have been more than nine or ten years old! I remember watching the animated movie on our big old dark brown 1970s console TV in the days before remote controls and cable, and I know I read the book shortly after that! I decided to re-read this book and am glad I did, because I'd forgotten just about everything about the story!

What I liked:

1) I read the illustrated edition, with illustrations done by John Lawrence. These illustrations were just absolutely beautiful, and really enhanced my enjoyment of the book.

2) None of the characters that readers grow to love are killed! Somehow, I remembered this incorrectly.

3) Many, many times this story made me think of all the wild rabbits I've encountered on my aunt and uncle's farms. I've had a couple of memorable encounters with these bunnies, and as I read this book, I couldn't help but think of those little guys. The author captured wild rabbits beautifully.

4) This was a book for young readers that adults can also enjoy. I loved the character development, the scene-setting, and the storytelling. I enjoyed the allegories, too.

What I didn't like:

1) The book does start out slowly, and at points takes some willpower to get through. I think it's worth it to forge ahead, though.

2) Could of done with a few less stories about El-ahrairah and Rabscuttle. The stories dovetailed with our rabbits' adventures, but I did tune some of these out.

3) 550 pages in a hardbound book. My back is killing me from lugging this thing around in my book bag! Watership Down is the book that made e-readers start calling my name.