AmySea

Ride a Pale Horse
Helen MacInnes
The Samurai's Wife
Laura Joh Rowland
Grave Peril  - James Marsters, Jim Butcher There was so much going on in Grave Peril, so many sub-plots, so many introductions of new characters, that at times I sort of found it difficult to keep track of what was going on. There was something addictive about the story, because I sure couldn't put this down, but despite being swept along by the story, I didn't love it. I'm not sure, really, what kept me so glued to this book. Maybe it was just James Marsters' fantastic narration. Damn, he's good!

I did like the introduction of religious/divine power into this book. Faith in God is what gives a lot of people their ability to overcome overwhelming odds, and to acknowledge that in this story, and to sit that along side Harry's powers I thought gave Grave Peril an extra layer of richness that the previous two books lacked.

I don't think I'm wild about the direction that this book seems to have pointed us in in terms of future books, though. I like Harry's private investigator practice, I like that he uses his wizarding abilities to solve crimes and to assist the police. I like it fairly light--I don't want it to go all vampire/magic folk war. But, since I haven't yet read the other books in the series, I guess for me it just remains to be seen in which direction [a:Jim Butcher|10746|Jim Butcher|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1205261964p2/10746.jpg] takes the series.