AmySea

Ride a Pale Horse
Helen MacInnes
The Samurai's Wife
Laura Joh Rowland
Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs - Mo Willems Oh, dear, this book was funny! I was laughing all the way through this one! The tone was fantastic, there were all kinds of funny things going on, and for me this one was a real winner. But my niece and nephew did not get it! There are times when I read to these children and am completely flabbergasted at how literal and logical they are! Sometimes it's like reading with Mr. Spok or Data from Star Trek!

In my nephew's defense, I don't think he's particularly familiar with the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. He's got The Three Little Pigs down pat, but Goldilocks isn't all that familiar to him. So the fracturing of this fairy tale may have been lost on him just because he doesn't know the original so well.

In my niece's defense, she does know Goldilocks and the Three Bears, but I don't think she was expecting this to be a fractured fairy tale. I think she thought it was going to be a straight across substitution of dinosaurs for bears, and was not quite able to alter her perspective quickly enough to catch the vibe of the story.

I guess this one's a tricky book. Very good and very funny, if the people you're reading it to "get it." If they don't, then the story just sort of falls flat.