AmySea

Ride a Pale Horse
Helen MacInnes
The Samurai's Wife
Laura Joh Rowland
Storm Front  - Jim Butcher, James Marsters This book was like a breath of fresh air to me. I don't read much fantasy, but when I do read it I tend to prefer urban fantasy. This book wasn't just urban fantasy, but great urban fantasy--probably the yardstick by which I will measure other UF books. Storm Front was also an excellent mystery story, and I love mysteries. I was captivated by the style of this book. It was hard boiled urban fantasy mystery; think Sam Spade plopped down in the middle of a Chicago populated with all manner of fey creatures up to good or ill. It was a creative twist to both the fantasy and mystery genres, and it was just a lot of fun!

The narrator of this book, James Marsters, was excellent. I didn't have any clue who this guy was, but apparently he's a famous actor, and his acting ability really shows in his reading of this work. The nuance he brought to the characters made them three dimensional, and the use of his voice to set tone and scene drew me further into the story.

There are some mature themes here, which I'd probably not bother mentioning if this book is aimed at adults, but there were times when I couldn't tell if Storm Front was targeted at a young adult or adult audience. This story is gritty, and sometimes sexed up, but oh, it's such a very good story!