AmySea

Ride a Pale Horse
Helen MacInnes
The Samurai's Wife
Laura Joh Rowland
Serpent in the Thorns (Crispin Guest Medieval Noir Series #2) - Jeri Westerson Another fabulous installment in Jeri Westerson's Crispin Guest Medieval Noir series! This story was packed with intrigue, and action, arrows flying all over the place, assassination attempts on kings and nobility, and through it all Crispin serves as the dashing, heroic, honorable (and very banged up) disruptor of plots and solver of mysteries.

I did have the prime conspirators in this story pegged very, very early on, but there were certainly twists that I did not see coming. The mysteries are pretty good, but for me it's Crispin's own story, and his own journey to discover where his true heart lies that drives these books forward. Crispin is a remarkable man, but in this book he does not yet fully realize that it isn't his knighthood (now lost) that makes him remarkable. As he struggles to learn who he is sans knighthood, those around him already know that it's his innate nobility and honorability that is the source of his remarkability, and it's interesting and engaging watching him go through his own self-revelatory processes.

Westerson's character development is fantastic--none of her characters are black and white, and she takes pains to make sure that honorable and dishonorable people are found at every level of her English society. I could go on, but suffice it to say, these are very enjoyable books! I don't think Jeri Westerson is going to be able to write these fast enough for me!