AmySea

Ride a Pale Horse
Helen MacInnes
The Samurai's Wife
Laura Joh Rowland
You Wouldn't Want to Be a Mammoth Hunter: Dangerous Beasts You'd Rather Not Encounter - John Malam, David Antram, David Salariya It is a real challenge for me to review this book. It is just right for my 8 year old niece. The content is there, it's presented in a great, factual, yet fun way, the illustrations are interesting to her, and they entertain her, the diverse subject matter of the books in this series excites her (and impresses me), and this book, like the others we've read in this series, is just right for her.

My nephew, though, is too young for some of the content in some of these books, but he's also completely fascinated by other content. Reading these books to him (this one included) is challenging. He wants to hear the story, he hangs on to every word from beginning to end (which is impressive given their length and his age), he asks questions and makes comments about what's happening in the stories, but then there are pages that freak him out. I really believe he's getting something valuable out of these books, and I do think he's acutally learning new things, not the least of which is new vocabulary. I just hope he's not also getting new nightmares.