AmySea

Ride a Pale Horse
Helen MacInnes
The Samurai's Wife
Laura Joh Rowland
The Ox-Bow Incident - Walter Van Tilburg Clark, Wallace Stegner I really do not know how I want to rate The Ox-Bow Incident. I didn't hate this book, but I didn't like it either, yet it's better than ok. As others have mentioned, the writing, the setting, and the feel of this story are all very well done. It feels authentic, and I liked this study of the mob mentality as told from the point of view of one of the individuals in the mob.

While there is plenty to like about this book, it just read so slowly for me. I kept waiting for the action to pick up, and then once it did, it just dropped away again. Maybe that was to underscore that at any point there are plenty of chances for people to extract themselves from situations that are fueled by a mob mentality, but something in our human nature just drives us forward. Whatever it was, this book was just not hooking me in.

This was one of my father's favorite books, and he tried for years to get me to read it. We often agreed about books, but in this case, I don't think we would have been in agreement. Sorry, Dad.