AmySea

Ride a Pale Horse
Helen MacInnes
The Samurai's Wife
Laura Joh Rowland
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal - Christopher Moore 3.5 to 4 stars for Lamb. I really enjoyed this book, and it did make me do some thinking about what life must have been like for Jesus as a *person* rather than for Jesus as Jesus, the Son of God. The book was funny, and I had to stop myself from laughing out loud on the bus, but I seriously doubt it will be everyone's cup of tea. It was full of... mmmm... Daily Show, Colbert Report type of humor, so, funny and thought-provoking, but often shamelessly vulgar, too. Still, I seem to have a side that laughs at the kinds of things 14 year old boys laugh at, so it was ok for me. While the book was rife with this type of humor, it was also very thought provoking, and accessible.

The book did lose steam for me about 2/3 of the way through, and I was glad when the story resumed its place in Israel. I was underwhelmed with the very ending--I did hope that the purpose for Biff's resurrection would have a better payoff. Biff was never the main point of the story anyway, or at least I didn't think he was, so I was hoping the ending would be more in line with the overall arch of the story.

What I was impressed with, though, was that Jesus was always kept above the vulgarities and imprefections that plague regular people, but it was never forgotten that he was made of flesh and blood. This decision on the part of the author to keep Jesus accessible but above and beyond, is what made this story particularly touching, I thought.