AmySea

The Samurai's Wife
Laura Joh Rowland

India Black and the Shadows of Anarchy / by Carol K. Carr

India Black and the Shadows of Anarchy - Carol K. Carr

I thought that there was a very noticeable improvement in the writing of this India Black book.  The author repeated herself very frequently in the first two books.  It was almost like she felt like the stories needed to be longer, so she just filled space with information she already told us, or used repeated actions.  That got old pretty quickly.   There was none of that in this book.  It was more streamlined and just got on with it, which I really appreciated!

I wasn't quite as interested in the plot of this story as I was in the first two, though.  I thought it was obvious from the get go who our bad guys were, and subsequently was not at all surprised when the bad guys were revealed.  That's ok, though--the books are fun to read, and they're a good escape from reality.

One thing that Carr does very well is she always keeps something back.  Something is always placed before you to tantalize you, but she doesn't give you the answer right away.  You have to go to the next book to learn more, and in this way these books are like life.  The answers we seek seldom fall right into our lap.  Time and a steady persistence down a twisted course  are more likely to lead us to the reveal, and such is the case with the mysteries in India Black 's life, too.